Thursday, March 18, 2010

So Much to Say

I have a lot to say mainly because I haven't updated in a while, but I've been really busy (working at both jobs & being an editor for a new magazine startup). I have so many balls in the air that I don't know what to do with myself at times.

I'm still doing the event planning for the April 8th event and I think we are going to make it to the finish line just fine! I'm wrapping up my job at the art gallery because I've been recruited and accepted an offer for a different job in OKC. I've already agreed to the confidentiality agreement but I will say it's a great opportunity and a little more pay and it offers fun fringe benefits. (I did, however, give up roughly 5 weeks of vacation for 2010 in the move).

I have had a lot of mixed feelings about this (as any rational adult should with a career move). I'm honestly so flattered that I was even chosen for the opportunity, let alone being given the offer in the first interview. I think I'll do a great job at it once I get acquainted with everything.

I'm also very sad. It was sad to tell everyone that I'm leaving, partially for the relationship I have with all of them, and partially because I am good at what I do and it's safe there. The compliments have been pouring in from my bosses and board members which have made me know that I will forever cherish this job. Nothing Ever Stays The Same (as my mom always told me with great emphasis).

I'm also sad knowing that I think they would have offered me more money had I only asked. They know that what I do/did is critical for the success of the organization and the continued growth of programming, and that whoever they hire will have big shoes to fill.

I'm also sad that I'm moving away from a quasi creative job to one that's mostly analytical and process driven. It will be a great challenge for my brain and I know that someday I will return to a job that will be in line with my passion. At some point I'm going to have to be less focused on the dream and more so on making some money to accomplish it. (I've sold out and it hurts; I hope I don't lose my passion in my ambition.)

I will have a big cry over all of this, and it's been coming for a few days. I find that my sensitivity sensors are on high these days. I think that I will have to put my guard back up due to the nature of the job but that's probably in my best interest.

On another note, we're supposed to get 10 inches of snow on Saturday. We haven't gotten more than about 4 inches of snow in March my entire life!! I was planning on having a work weekend at home so it will work out.

2 comments:

Steven Anthony said...

wow, that's a ton going on...just breath and stay out of your head...you'll do great;)

Dean Grey said...

Dane!

You did NOT sell out! You just moved on with your life, that's all.

Congrats on the job switch! You never know who you'll meet there or along the way.

And if you really are going to miss your former coworkers that much, I suggest you still stay in contact with them from time-to-time.

-Dean