Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dual Paths

I feel as if I'm trying to go down dual paths right now. It's a feeling I've had many times before, and I'm not sure if I'm being subconsciously indecisive or just plain scared of forward progress.

I'm feeling sad, scared, lonely, cold and anxious about the future, yet I'm also hopeful, excited, and wondering. The negative feelings come from the place that I am in now...perpetually broke, living in a rundown building, driving a potentially lethal car, barely making enough to pay my bills every month, and seeing all of my friends/family/coworkers make more than I do. I know it's been a lesson in humility which has been nice trying but I'm ready to have more to work with. Some money in the bank would be wonderful to even keep me from being flat broke. My bank account hovers around $.01 all the time. (I know life isn't about money, it's about loving those around us and having fun in the mean time. Money is just the lubricant to make life a bit easier).

On the flip side of that, I sent my vision statement (and resume) to my buddy in China yesterday and haven't yet heard back from him...halfway around the world, It's insane that I sent it to him there!

Here is my vision:
We live in a dynamic world where the opportunities and chances we take today can have a great impact on the future that we create. I have always been driven to challenge the norms, to push for innovation, and to create efficiencies wherever possible. In every scenario, I have done these things. I’ve questioned protocols to check to see if they could be improved; I’ve streamlined processes to help the office become more productive. I constantly have ideas on what’s next and I am an asset to any team.
Working in the non-profit realm, I also have a strong sense of community and helping others. I work at an art gallery/community school of the arts and the greatest thing about my job is that I get to empower creativity on a daily basis.
I want to continue this trajectory of investment in the lives of those around me and change the world in the process. I want to make it more efficient, practical, smarter, and safer. I also want to make lots of money so I can invest in the next generation, and I want to create something tangible to cherish.
I’d like to look back at my life and know that I perpetuated an idea that revolutionized the way we build X or create Y. Along with creating deep and long lasting relationships, I’d like for that to be my largest accomplishment and gift to the world.

4 comments:

Steven Anthony said...

We live in a dynamic world where the opportunities and chances we take today can have a great impact on the future that we create. I have always been driven to challenge the norms, to push for innovation, and to create efficiencies wherever possible. In every scenario, I have done these things. SOUNDS like you already know the answer(easy for me to say since I dont really know you) But follow your instinct, fear just keeps us from moving forward into a better realm....just make sure the fear of your situation now isnt what is driving you.....

peace

Dean Grey said...

Dane!

Now that is a vision statement! WOW!

Is the job in China art related though?

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling right now. Maybe another, better paying job is the answer?

I applaud you for being hopeful and excited for the future. I'm just plain scared myself.

I'm hoping great things come your way!!!

-Dean

Michael Mattison said...

Well put, Dane. Your bank account may be perpetually hovering around zero, but it apparently hasn't affected your writing skills; where'd you learn to write? Possible career option; think about it.
Thanks for your thought-provoking blog.
All the best from way over here in Germany,
Michael

Sam In Real Life said...

Yes, YES!

couldn't agree more on the start - and the statement is captivating

mint!