Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Last Night's Supper

To steal a title from another great blog, I'm writing about what I made for supper last night. It was one of the best meals I've ever cooked and I couldn't ask for better company (friend). BTW, this has nothing to do with yesterday's big decision.

I made turkey chili, bacon cornbread, and salad with 2 kinds of homemade dressing.


These were all pretty simple and I was able to present the entire meal quickly and while it was piping hot.

The Turkey Chili
1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 lb. pepper bacon
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, small dice
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes/green chilies
1 can tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 package of chili seasoning

I started with chopping the uncooked bacon into small bite-sized pieces, placed it in the pan with some olive oil and let it render. After it started to brown, I removed the bacon, leaving the heated oil in the pan. I added the onions and garlic and let them sizzle for a bit until they turned clear. I removed them with a serrated spoon and left the now yummy smelling oil on the stove and added the ground turkey until it was mostly cooked. During this time I drained the liquid from the Rotel and diced tomatoes into the pot with the turkey to help the flavors start blending. I then drained the liquid off (once the turkey was cooked) and added a bit of olive oil to make sure it didn't stick. Then, basically all of the other ingredients (minus the bacon) were dumped into the pot with a bit of water and I put the lid on it and let everything come to a boil. I let the flavors meld and stirred it often so it wouldn't stick. I served it hot with a dollop of sour cream on top and it was YUMMY!!

The bacon cornbread was a simple cornbread mix with the cooked bacon added in. It added a certain savory flavor and a nice crunch. I don't add much to cornbread, but I will definitely keep this in mind for the next time I make it.

The two salad dressings were a simple vinaigrette and a blue cheese dressing. The vinaigrette was olive oil, balsamic and spices whisked together. The blue cheese was mayo, milk, sour cream, and some leftover blue cheese crumbled together with some salt and pepper.

The night was enjoyable; the beer perfectly matched the mood (bud light wheat with lemon), and the food was delicious. Hope you take something from these recipes and make them your own!!!

4 comments:

Michael Rivers said...

Wow. I'm impressed! Invite me over next time!

Steven Anthony said...

I love a guy who cooks:)

Dean Grey said...

Dane!

I'm with Steven on this one. I love a man that can cook!

There is nothing like homemade cooking!

How nice that you were able to share it with a friend.

It's getting steadily colder here in Chicago so chili sounds perfect right about now!

-Dean

P.S.: Was this recipe all your own or did you borrow it from somewhere?

Dane said...

It's a conglomerate from my mom's recipe and some online recipes. I wanted to add the extra smoky flavor/seasoning (hence the bacon) and I'm glad my friends enjoyed it! I ended up sharing it with 3 total friends and they all loved it!

I'm not good at much, but I am good at cooking...