Friday, April 18, 2008

Gray: When Black and White won't cut it

Our next president might be a gray man, not someone that is old, but someone that isn't 'fully' 'white' or 'black.' Anyway, that's not what I wanted to talk about.

It's funny that when I was younger, I only thought in black and white. I only thought about things that were unequivocally right or wrong, black or white, left or right, etc. Now I understand that the world is much more nuanced and my thoughts on it are as well. I know that every political stance I have has a caveat and that my blueprint for life is something more than dreams but less than realities (at this moment anyway).

I used to think that I could plan out my life and it would follow that trajectory. I guess I thought I was special and wouldn't have to deal with life's curve balls, or was young and naive to how things actually worked, but have actually found that while one can plan on this foundation, sometimes foundations move and shift quickly.

Anyway, not much else to say other than I don't think my life is black and white anymore yet a shade of gray.

No comments: